Saturday, June 5, 2010

All I Need

We all face battles in our every day lives.  Some bigger than others; yet, we all face them. Today as I was thinking of an upcoming battle that will be before me in a few days, many things ran through my mind...good things, bad things, unbelievable things, disappointing things, predictable things, surprising things...the list could go on and on. 

In few words or less, I was down in the dumps and upset because someone that I thought was going to be able to endure this battle with me was now unable to be here due to unforeseen circumstances...I already for a moment felt defeated.

My attitude and thoughts almost took me down the all so familiar road of doubt and discouragement, but thankfully I made the choice to not allow anyone or any situation choose how my day will go, how I felt about myself or my situation. So I made a choice to "practice what I so often preach share."

I immediately began to redirect my way of thinking.  I chose positive over negative...good over bad...encouraging over discouraging...confidence over doubt...trust over fear and joy over defeat.  I cannot explain to you what a difference this made...with the change of my attitude and way of thinking, I began to pray. 

I didn't ask God for answers or even why things were playing out like they were...I didn't ask for Him to reveal his plans or what the outcome of all of this was going to be...I just prayed that He would give me strength and help me find peace, but if He wanted to do the other it was okay by me...(I am so glad that our God has a sense of humor!) The last thing I said in my prayer was..."God just please speak to me now...and speak loudly!" After I finished praying, I opened one of my favorite devotional books -- New Day New You by Joyce Meyer ...

and this is what the devotion was for today...


DEPENDING ON HIM ALONE

Early in the morning, Jerub-Baal (that is, Gideon) and all his men camped at the spring of Harod. The camp of Midian was north of them in the valley near the hill of Moreh. The LORD said to Gideon, "You have too many men for me to deliver Midian into their hands. In order that Israel may not boast against me that her own strength has saved her, announce now to the people, 'Anyone who trembles with fear may turn back and leave Mount Gilead.' " So 22,000 men left, but 10,000 remained.   ---Judges 7:1-3
Instead of telling Gideon, who was facing a major battle, that He would give him more men, God told him that he had too many for God to give him the victory. Interestingly enough, sometimes God works through our weaknesses better than through our strengths.  There are times when we have too much going for us in the natural for God to give the victory. We are not in line for a miracle if anyone but God can help us. God was telling Gideon that they were too strong in themselves, that He wanted them in a position where they would have to depend entirely on Him. Pride and boasting ruin the best of men so God has to help us stay humble and, under His mighty hand, totally dependent on Him.

I may not have men in numbers, but
I have ALL I NEED!!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mel!! I needed this today. He certainly has a way of reminding me that I can't do it myself and that I need him. Love you! Su

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! what an awesome message that applies to so many things and so many days- thanks for sharing, you are such a blessing! TA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,it hard for me to type with tears running down my face...I,too have been facing some tough battles in my life.I have gotten to the point of not knowing what to say to God?After reading your words...I am seeing things much differently.I am once again hopeful & also inspired by your words and the way you choose to live your life!Today,you touched my life in a wonderful way and I thankyou for that...I believe that God put you right in my path because I needed you in my life!I have never met you in person but I already love you...libby

    ReplyDelete