Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Doing Life Together

Friends! I could spend all day speaking about mine. How blessed I am to have such wonderful people to share life with. One in particular is Hope, which was one of my roommates in Athens. I just thought we were close "back in the day" but reconnecting after many years I know we have a friendship that will last a lifetime. It's the type of friendship that doesn't fade away because of busy lives, or distance, time or whatever circumstances may be. 

When we lived together we had so much fun & many things in common...including our third roommate Darlene.."Dee" as we call her.  She was the wise one of the three...and definitely the mother hen.  Looking back now...I know in my heart that God brought us together for a reason in 1992. I feel that He was just paving the way for something really special to come.  The best part about our paths crossing again is that we have all discovered that we three share a deep faith and strong walk with God. 

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
John 15:13


Several months ago, Hope called and asked if I would like to do the UGA Dawg Trot 5k Run with her. Of course, I said sure.  Mind you it was only months away and well...I haven't exactly been running lately.  We signed up and it was official. I guess I'm always up for some R&R,  rest & relaxation, Oh, no! .....roommate ridiculousness!!!"

Saturday morning (03/20/10) at 6am, we headed out for UGA. We ran into friends, ate one of our favorite breakfast...half green banana and a granola bar, checked in, pinned on our "if we are horizontal...call 911" signs (Ha) and headed for the start line.  The gun sounded and we were off.  5K? I kept saying to myself - no! It wasn't about a number and a letter.  Hope and I both know we are NOT runners! It was about friends and "doing life together".


1 Thessalonians 5:11-15



Along the way...some certain individual that we now call our "poparotsy" kept popping up all of the coarse snapping shots left and right.  Hope and I were scared to stop running in fear "he" would catch us.  Talk about pressure!!!
One of the times that we were visited, our "poparotsy" brought us a treat!  YUM...YUM...Jelly Belly Sport Beans.  These very well may have been one of two reasons we made it up the hills of Athens.  The other one is that we refused to be the last ones to finish the race!!!


All in all we had a wonderful time.  My first race with someone so very dear and special to me.  We had set a goal for ourselves and we beat that goal by ONE whole minute.  Just our style...whatever it takes!  Hope is a true testament of Proverbs 17:17..."a friend loves at all times".



What a wonderful memory made...many many more to come.


The end of a matter is better than its beginning,
and patience is better than pride.
Ecclesiastes 7:8

3 comments:

  1. OK - now THIS mom is crying again...I love ya, Mel!!! What a great time we had...and yes, there are many more to come. You can re-read those verses again and apply them to YOU as well. God is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of you! I couldn't have done a 5k. Way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could have been there! Adorable pics! Next time for sure!!

    ReplyDelete