Thursday, April 29, 2010

My Smoke Signal


Posted using ShareThis


This is a video podcast from Aaron's church, Chestnut Mountain Church @ Flowery Branch.  Jeff Benefield is one of the most amazing preachers I have ever had the privilege to hear and get to know.  This past weekend I was visiting Aaron and on Sunday, Jeff delivered a message that changed my life. 

His sermon was on..."living a life with discouragement".  Yes, we all get discouraged.  I do regularly; I did today; I am sure I will again.  The thing that came to mind when I got home was Jeff's sermon.  So, I pulled up the church's website and went straight to the video podcast to watch the sermon again.  I will have to be honest with you...this sermon you DO NOT WANT TO MISS! 

Jeff tells the story of his son, AJ, pitching in a high school baseball game against what we may call "the giants".  As he shared with us what happened, tears rolled down my face.  I felt AJ's pain, and I felt Jeff's pain as a parent.  You will have to listen to this sermon to get the whole story...it is incredible...it will change your life! 

The main point in Jeff's sermon was that so often when we get discouraged we tend to look to Jesus' hands to fix the problem...

WHEN...we ONLY need to look at Jesus' face.  Just like Jeff (in the press box at his son's game) kept saying to himself about his son..."just look up here kid".  All Jeff wanted as AJ hung his head in the dugout was for him to look up there at his dad so Jeff could tell him that he loved him...no matter what...he loved him. Jesus is saying the same thing and wanting the same thing from us..."just look up here kid". He wants us to look to him so we will know that He loves us no matter what.  He already knows of our heartaches and disappointments.  He knows the very things that make us feel or get discouraged.  Jesus can fix anything, but the one thing He wants most is for us to just look at His face...to trust Him...and to know and believe that He loves us more than we can comprehend.

I got discouraged today when something happened that was out of my control, not my fault, but was very embarrassing for me.  I first called Aaron, then two of my closest friends and my hero... Mrs. Catharine.  All told me that it was going to be okay, and that God uses these things to get us to rely on Him and Him alone.  Mrs. Catharine told me that no matter what people said that it only mattered what God thought and that He knew the truth and that He will protect me and my reputation and the truth would be revealed.  People can be so cruel however, and yes, it hurts.  I immediately did what Jeff said we often do...I looked to Jesus to fix it...I looked to His hands...I wanted it fixed right then.  I even in my own strength tried to fix it but realized very quickly after thinking of Jeff's sermon...I just needed to look at Jesus' face and believe that He will take care of me. 
Jeremiah 29:11 ~ "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Not only did I get some incredible advice and comfort from the people I love and that love me, but one of my dearest & best friend that lives in Canada sent me an email today that included the story below.  How amazing that I got this particular email today of all days...I love and thank you Jolene!  MISS YOU TONS!!!

The email went like this...

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him. Every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming.

Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect himself from the elements, and to store his few possessions. One day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, with smoke rolling up to the sky. He felt the worst had happened, and everything was lost. He was stunned with disbelief, grief, and anger. He cried out, 'God! How could you do this to me?'

Early the next day, he was awakened by the sound of a ship approaching the island! It had come to rescue him!

'How did you know I was here?' asked the weary man of his rescuers. 'We saw your smoke signal,' they replied.

The Moral of This Story:

It's easy to get discouraged when things are going bad, but we shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in the midst of our pain and suffering. Remember that the next time your little hut seems to be burning to the ground. It just may be a smoke signal that summons the Grace of God.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Melissa. I really needed that encouragement today. I haven't been this down in a long time...just needed a reminder that God is my hope and my strength and that He is working in my life - even during difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    Today I faced a similar situation to the one you talked about. My prinicpal said things to me that made me feel very worthless. She was just cold and heartless!! The problem is that it's a personal issue she has with me, and there's nothing I can do to change it. This is truly only something God can handle. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete